September 25, 2011
MOLINE, IL - Jynocel Basweti (Kenya) ran 2:18:40 to win his third Quad Cities Marathon, presented by THE National Bank, Sunday, while Caroline LeFrak (New York, NY) became the first American to win an overall title since 2001 with her 2:41:11 effort. Basweti also won QCM titles in 2006 and 2008, LeFrak was making her debut in the Quad Cities. LeFrak's time is a US Olympic Trials qualifier and a personal record. The race was run in low 50-degree weather under cloudy skies with rain falling towards the end of the women's elite run.
Basweti and David Tuwei (Kenya) led the men's field through the half-marathon point in 1:08:42. Basweti surged on the Arsenal Island segment of the course and hit the 20-mile mark in 1:45:04, 18 seconds ahead of Tuwei. The gap widened to 43 seconds at the finish line, as Tuwei finished in 2:19:23. Basweti now owns three of the top-six all time performances at Quad Cities. Philip Kamau (Kenya) and Jonathan Ndambuki (Kenya) clocked 2:26:47 and 2:27:33, respectively. Alexey Khokhlov (Russia) finished fifth overall and first in the masters division with a 2:33:02. William Huntsberger (Davenport, IA) ran 2:59:20 to place 2nd/masters and Howard Shelanski (Washington, DC) ran 3:00:48 to place 3rd/masters.
LeFrak and Muliye Gurmu (Ethiopia) hit the half-marathon point together at 1:19:23, but LeFrak opened a more than five minute lead on the Island, hitting the 20-mile mark in 2:01:33. LeFrak ran a solid 39:40 over the final 10k to record her 2:41:11. LeFrak's time was the third fastest women's effort in the 14-year history of the Quad Cities Marathon. Gurmu held on to second with a 2:47:13, just ahead of a hard charging Lisa Dyer (Morehead, MN) who ran 2:47:21. Kaci Lickteig (Omaha, NE) ran 2:54:22 and Blossom Marimpietri (Downers Grove, IL) ran 2:57:37 to close out the top-5 in the field. Lori French (Bettendorf, IA) won the women's masters crown in 3:28:49. She was followed by runner-up Margo Garnant, Peoria, IL, (3:30:45) and Kate Dewey, Chesterfield, MO, (3:36:40).
HILLIG, MALLON SET COURSE RECORDS IN RUHL & RUHL HALF
Charles Hillig (Denver, CO) and Julia Mallon (Santa Rosa, CA) set course records in the Ruhl & Ruhl Half Marathon. Hillig ran 1:06:45, while Mallon clocked a 1:19:31. The previous course records were held by Rod DeHaven (2001/1:08:34) and Krista Vrombaut (2010/1:23:31).
Hillig ran much of the race with runner-up Sammy Rotich (Kenya), before surging forward in the final miles. Rotich finished 23 seconds back in 1:07:08. Two-time winner Bryan Glass (Springfield, IL) offered another solid performance, finishing in 1:09:15 and in third place.
Mallon led from wire-to-wire in her half marathon, opening with a 37:34 first 10k. Her new record is 4-minutes better than the previous standard. Jen Paul (LeClaire, IA) also ran faster than the previous record and finished a solid second in the event's deepest field ever. Paul's 1:21:59 is a personal record. Julie Ralston (Streator, IL) placed third in 1:24:08.
TOP FINISHERS - ALL 2011 INDIVIDUAL EVENTS:
MEN'S OPEN MARATHON
1. Jynocel Basweti, Kenya, 2:18:40
2. David Tuwei, Kenya, 2:19:23
2. David Tuwei, Kenya, 2:19:23
3. Philip Kamau, Kenya, 2:26:47
4. Jonathan Ndambuki, Kenya, 2:27:33
5. Alexey Khokhlov, Russia, 2:33:02
WOMEN'S OPEN MARATHON
1. Caroline LeFrak, New York, NY, 2:41:11
2. Muliye Gurmu, Ethiopia, 2:47:13
3. Lisa Dyer, Morehead, MN, 2:47:21
4. Kaci Lickteig, Omaha, NE, 2:54:22
5. Blossom Marimpietri, Downers Grove, IL, 2:57:37
MEN'S MASTERS MARATHON
1. Alexey Khokhlov, Russia, 2:33:02
2. William Huntsberger, Davenport, IA, 2:59:20
3. Howard Shelanski, Washington, DC, 3:00:48
WOMEN'S MASTERS MARATHON
1. Lori French, Bettendorf, IA, 3:28:49
2. Margo Garnant, Peoria, IL, 3:30:45
3. Kate Dewey, Chesterfield, MO, 3:36:40
MEN'S HALF MARATHON
1. Charles Hillig, Denver, CO, 1:06:45
2. Sammy Rotich, Kenya, 1:07:08
3. Bryan Glass, Springfield, IL, 1:09:15
WOMEN'S HALF MARATHON
1. Julia Mallon, Santa Rosa, CA, 1:19:31
2. Jen Paul, LeClaire, IA, 1:21:59
3. Julie Ralston, Streator, IL, 1:24:08
1. Ben Lloyd, Davenport, IA, 15:52
2. Tauwon Taylor, Moline, IL, 15:54
3. David Bailey, Davenport, IA, 17:02
1. Avery Mickley, Colona, IL, 21:05
2. Nicole Reed, Eldridge, IA, 22:05
3. Kamiel Detoye, Davenport, IA, 22:49