Complete results: click here
MOLINE, IL - Kenya's Kennedy Kemei and Ethiopia's Hirut Guangul posted overall victories at the 2015 Quad Cities Marathon, presented by Triumph Community Bank. Kemei erased a one-minute deficit in the final 10K to earn the come-from-behind win in 2:20:34. Guangul collected her third win in four years at the QCM event, while running 2:39:10.
The lead pack for the elites, including Kemei, consisted of seven runners working through the first 10 miles at a relaxed pace. Kemei then hit the half-marathon split at 1:09:56, running with Sammy Malakwen (Kenya), Werkuneh Aboye (Ethiopia), and Noah Chepngabit (Kenya). By 20-miles Chepngabit had moved to the lead, followed by Malakwen (1:45:31) and Kemei (1:46:31). However, Kemei used his late surge to make up the gap and move into a lead that he held through the finish line.
Kemei's 2:20:34 was 32 seconds ahead of Malakwen (2:21:06). Chepngabit did not finish. Abu Kedebe Diriba (Ethiopia) finished in 2:24:49 for third place overall. Aboye ran 2:24:54 for fourth place. Genna Tufa (Albuquerque, NM) rounded out the top five in 2:27:33.
Guangul's final effort was the fifth-best time in race history and gave her a third QCM title in four years. She ran the first half of the race with Frehiwat Goshu (Ethiopia). They hit a 1:19:04 split for the half-marathon. By 20-miles Guangul opened a lead of 2:31. The final margin was 6:27 spread for her 2:39:10 final time. Goshu ran 2:45:37. Ruth Kimutai ran in third for the entire race and through the finish line at 2:49:16. Hannah Brooker (Albany, NY) placed fourth in her debut marathon, running 2:58:02. Tezata Dengersa (Ethiopia) rounded out the top-5 in 3:05:32.
Francesco Arato (Bolingbrook, IL) successfully defended his master's title. He ran a personal best 2:37:30. Scott Mangum (Barrington, IL) was runner-up in 2:40:06 and Neil Weerakoon (Downers Grove, IL) rounded out the top-three in 2:48:12.
The women's master's title went to Kathy Hinrichs (Elkhorn, NE) in 3:18:43. Jamie Stensland (Waverly, IA) was second in 3:25:12 and Traci Havlik was third in 3:35:54.
The top locals in the full marathon were: Jeffrey King (Kewanee, IL) in 2:50:14 and Julie Haronik (Rock Island, IL) in 3:39:38.
Rotich, Yator Win Mel Foster Half Titles
Sammy Rotich (Kenya) led from wire-to-wire to run 1:06:50 and win the Mel Foster Co. Half Marathon. Rotich opened with a 31:23 10K and never looked back. Devin Allbaugh (Bettendorf, IA), running in his first half marathon, placed second overall and top local runner in 1:09:04. Allbaugh opened with a 32:40 first 10K. Logan Beausoleil (Davenport, IA) rounded out the top three overall in 1:12:46.
Jebichi Yator (Kenya) used a late race push to post a 12-second in in the women's half. Yator ran 1:16:15, the second best time in race history. Pauline Mutwa Thitu (Kenya) was a close second in 1:16:27. Rebecca Wilder (Davenport, IA) was third overall and top local runner with a 1:26:45.
MARATHON MEN OVERALL
1. Kennedy Kemei, Kenya, 2:20:34
2. Sammy Malakwen, Kenya, 2:21:06
3. Abu Kedebe Diriba, Ethiopia, 2:24:49
4. Werkuneh Aboye, Ethiopia, 2:24:54
5. Genna Tufa, Albuquerque, NM, 2:27:33
6. Matt Brooker, Albany, NY, 2:33:04
7. Francesco Arato, Bolingbrook, IL, 2:37:28
8. Scott Mangum, Barrington, IL, 2:40:04
9. Neil Weerakoon, Downers Grove, IL, 2:48:12
10. Keith Browning, Lisle, IL, 2:48:48
MARATHON WOMEN OVERALL
1. Hirut Guangul, Ethiopia, 2:39:10
2. Frehiwat Goshu, Ethiopia, 2:45:35
3. Ruth Kimutai, Kenya, 2:49:14
4. Hannah Brooker, Albany, NY, 2:58:02
5. Tezata Dengersa, Ethiopia, 3:05:32
6. Muliye Gurmu, Ethiopia, 3:16:51
7. Kathy Hinrichs, Elkhorn, NE, 3:18:31
8. Hannah Morsch, 3:24:08
9. Jamie Stensland, 3:24:51
10. Traci Havlik, 3:35:45
MARATHON MEN MASTERS
1. Francesco Arato, Bolingbrook, IL, 2:37:30
2. Scott Mangum, Barrington, IL, 2:40:06
3. Neil Weerakoon, Downers Grove, IL, 2:48:12
MARATHON WOMEN MASTERS
1. Kathy Hinrichs, Elkhorn, NE, 3:18:43
2. Jamie Stensland, Waverly, IA, 3:25:12
3. Traci Havlik, Madrid, IA, 3:35:54
TOP MARATHON LOCALS
Men: Jeffrey King, Kewanee, IL, 2:50:14
Women: Julie Haronik, Rock Island, IL, 3:39:38
HALF MARATHON MEN OVERALL
1. Sammy Rotich, Kenya, 1:06:50
2. Devin Allbaugh, Bettendorf, IA, 1:09:04
3. Logan Beausoleil, Davenport, IA, 1:12:46
HALF MARATHON WOMEN OVERALL
1. Jebichi Yator, Kenya, 1:16:15
2. Pauline Mutwa Thitu, Kenya, 1:16:27
3. Rebecca Wilder, Davenport, IA, 1:26:45
TOP HALF MARATHON LOCALS
Men: Devin Allbaugh, Bettendorf, IA, 1:09:04
Women: Rebecca Wilder, Davenport, IA, 1:26:45
5K MEN OVERALL
1. Jon Noland, 15:46
2. Tommy Harris, 16:29
3. T Taylor, 17:18
5K WOMEN OVERALL
1. Audrey Jenkins, 18:50
2. Tammy Kallback, 19:48
3. Kelli Grubbs, 20:39