MOLINE, IL - Kenya's Philip Lagat and Ethiopia's Hirut Beyene Guangul captured wins at the 2012 Quad Cities Marathon, presented by THE National Bank. The 26.2-mile race toured each of the Quad Cities and was run under sunny and calm conditions with temperatures in the upper 30's and lower 40's. Throughout the day four of the event's eight course records were established.
Lagat made his marathon debut memorable with his victory and 2:19:41 finish time (5:20/pace). Ethiopia's Demesse Tefera was a close second in 2:19:45. It was the closest men's finish in the 15-year history of the event. Lagat and Tefera were part of a five-man chase pack for much of the race. Kenya's Nixon Cherutich held leads of 40 to 60 seconds during a good portion of the race; he took a lead in the sixth mile that he would not relinquish until the 24th mile. Cherutich surrendered the lead at this point and dropped out, while Lagat and Tefera charged to the front. The runners battled in the final miles, before Lagat moved in front just blocks from the finish line. Edward Tabut (Kenya) finished just off the leaders in 2:20:28, while Abraham Rutto (Kenya) held on to 4th-place in 2:21:14. Jacob Buhler (Edmond, OK) moved up during the race to capture fifth overall and first American in 2:22:18.
In the women's race, Guangul and Mary Akor (Hawthorn, CA) ran stride for stride for most of the second half of the race. Guangul's surge in the final miles pushed her to a new course record in 2:35:07 (5:56/pace). Akor finished a very solid second (third best time in race history) in 2:36:27.
The previous course record was 2:36:26, from 2004, by Halina Karnatsevich (Belarus).
Tatyana Byelovol (Ukraine) captured third overall, and first master's, with her 2:42:00. Kaci Lickteig (Omaha, NE) moved up during the second part of the race to finish fourth at 2:45:46. Muliye Gurmu (Ethiopia) rounded out the top-5 with a 2:47:05.
The women's race had a deeper field compared to the past with three of the top-7 times ever posted: Guangul (1st/CR), Akor (3rd) and Byelovol (7th).
John Piggott (Williamsburg, VA) posted his first master's win at the QCM, running 2:43:30. He was just in front of Gilbert Kipchirchir's (Kenya) 2:46:03. David Swanson (Iowa City, IA) rounded out the top-3 in 3:00:33.
Byelovol's 2:42:00 set a course record in the women's master's race. She broke the 2010 record by Elena Orlova (Russia) of 2:42:31. Elena Shemyakina (Geneva, IL) ran 3:10:17 and Kelly Sorensen (W. Des Moines, IA) ran 3:16:20 to round out the top-3 master's.
MEN'S AND WOMEN'S COURSE RECORDS SET IN 2012 RUHL & RUHL HALF MARATHON
Both course records were set in the QCM's Ruhl & Ruhl Half Marathon. Robert Wambua (Kenya) was 1:42 better than the old mark, whilePauline Mutwa (Kenya) was 3:15 faster than the previous women's record.
Wambua hammered out an early lead, running through his first 10k in 31:02, and never looked back en route to his 1:05:03 (4:58/pace). Dan Kremske (Woodstock, IL) moved up during the race to take second overall in 1:06:26. Festus Kigen (Kenya) was a solid third-place finisher at 1:07:00.
Mutwa surged out to an opening 35:37 10k en route to her 1:16:16 record (5:50/pace). Jen Paul (LeClaire, IA) recorded a runner-up finish, for the second straight year, running a personal best 1:19:18. Kristy Feldman (Ankeny, IA) ran 1:23:42 to round out the top-3.
Course Records Set at 15th QCM:
Women's Open Marathon: Hirut Beyene Guangul, Ethiopia, 2:35:07
Women's Master's Marathon: Tatyana Byelovol, Ukraine, 2:42:00
Men's Half Marathon: Robert Wambua, Kenya, 1:05:03
Women's Half Marathon: Pauline Mutwa, Kenya, 1:16:16
Top Finishers in Individual Events:
MEN'S FULL MARATHON OPEN
1. Philip Lagat, Kenya, 2:19:41
2. Demesse Tefera, Ethiopia, 2:19:45
3. Edward Tabut, Kenya, 2:20:28
4. Abraham Rutto, Kenya, 2:21:14
5. Jacob Buhler, Edmond, OK, 2:22:18
WOMEN'S FULL MARATHON OPEN
1. Hirut Beyene Guangul, Ethiopia, 2:35:07 (course record)
2. Mary Akor, Hawthorn, CA, 2:36:27
3. Tatyana Byelovol, Ukraine, 2:42:00
4. Kaci Lickteig, Omaha, NE, 2:45:46
5. Muliye Gurmu, Ethiopia, 2:47:05
MEN'S FULL MARATHON MASTER'S
1. John Piggott, Williamsburg, VA, 2:43:30
2. Gilbert Kipchirchir, Kenya, 2:46:03
3. David Swanson, Iowa City, IA, 3:00:33
WOMEN'S FULL MARATHON MASTER'S
1. Tatyana Byelovol, Ukraine, 2:42:00 (course record)
2. Elena Shemyakina, Geneva, IL, 3:10:17
3. Kelly Sorensen, West Des Moines, IA, 3:16:20
MEN'S HALF MARATHON OPEN
1. Robert Wambua, Kenya, 1:05:03 (course record)
2. Dan Kremske, Woodstock, IL, 1:06:26
3. Festus Kigen, Kenya, 1:07:00
WOMEN'S HALF MARATHON OPEN
1. Pauline Mutwa, Kenya, 1:16:16 (course record)
2. Jen Paul, LeClaire, IA, 1:19:18
3. Kristy Feldman, Ankeny, IA, 1:23:42
MEN'S 5K OPEN
1. Dan Schisler, Roseville, IL, 17:43
2. Sean Austin, --, 18:01
3. Clint Pogemiller, Bettendorf, IA, 18:23
WOMEN'S 5K OPEN
1. Madison Cane, --, 19:36
2. Kelley Timmerman, Geneseo, IL, 19:57
3. Michelle Solis Russell, Bettendorf, IA, 20:32