MOLINE, IL - Ethiopians swept the day at the 2016 Quad Cities Marathon, presented by Triumph Community Bank. Fikadu Teferi (Ethiopia) won an exciting sprint finish at the line in the men's race, covering the 26.2-mile course in 2:16:56. Hirut Guangul (Ethiopia) captured the women's title in 2:44:25, winning a record fourth title at the event. The race was run under a partly cloudy sky with temperatures in the mid-70's F.
Teferi held off a late-charging Hillary Too (Kenya) in the men's race. Too was just six seconds back in 2:17:02. Teferi and Too broke away from the field early, running a quick 31:20 first 10K. The lead continued to grow and the runners hit the half marathon point in 1:07:13. By the 20-mile mark Teferi had opened a 38-second lead at 1:43:06. Too rallied late and closed the gap with just blocks remaining. Teferi found a final gear in the closing stretch and pulled off the victory. It was the first Ethiopian win since 2007 at the event. Teferi broke a string of eight-straight Kenyan titles. The winning time was the fifth-fastest ever run during the 19-year history of the QCM. The finish was the second-closest in race history (the 2012 race was contested by only four seconds).
Three runners had battled for the third-place position for much of the race: Sammy Malakwan (Kenya), Stanley Boen (Kenya) and Werkuneh Seyoum Aboye (Ethiopia). The runners veered off course by a significant margin. The runners were disqualified at 20-miles. Race officials were unable to determine fault and awarded each the 4th-place prize money.
The official third-place finisher was Tewodros Zewdu (Ethiopia) in 2:28:50. Zewdu ran the first half in 1:10:40 and maintained his position through the closing miles. Abu Kebede Diriba (Ethiopia) ran 2:32:12 for fourth and Abraham Kiprop Rutto (Kenya) ran 2:32:16 to round out the top-five prize money winners.
In the women's race, Guangul opened her first 10K in 36:28 and never looked back. She ran the 1/2-marathon split in 1:19:05 and held a 3:25 lead at that point. She hit the 20-mile mark in 2:02:40 en route to her winning 2:44:25 finish. Guangul became the first runner, male or female, to win a fourth overall title at the QCM. She is now 4-for-4 in wins at the race. She set the course record in 2012 at 2:35:07 and also won in 2013 and 2015. She finished the race with a 11:36 margin of vistory, one of the largest spreads ever between first and second.
Bizuwork Getahun Kasa (Ethiopia) placed second in 2:56:01. She opened her first half in 1:22:30 and batteled warming temps and the remainder of the field down the stretch. Meseret Ali Basa (Ethiopia) was third in 3:03:09, followed by Jenna Fiorillo (West Chester, PA) in fourth at 3:16:04. Sarah Castel (Chicago, IL) rounded out the top-5 money winners in 3:29:28.
The top-3 men's masters runners included: Jason Zaborowski (Peoria, IL) in 3:07:10, David Timmsen (Moline, IL) in 3:11:40, and Patrick Timmons (Naperville, IL) in 3:15:21. The top-3 women's masters runners included: Jamie Stensland (Waverly, IA) in 3:40:55, Vicki Bentley-Condit (Grinnell, IA) in 3:55:05, and Patches Breed (Wilton, IA) in 4:00:55.
The top local male was Luke Padesky (Moline, IL) with a 2:58:16 finish. The top local female was Sarah Liddell (Davenport, IA) at 3:56:13.
Mull, Rediger win Mel Foster Co. Half Titles
Brandon Mull (Chicago, IL) won the QCM Half Marathon, presented by Mel Foster Co. Mull held a 4:15 margin over the field at the finish line, despite veering off course around the 9-mile mark. Mull ran a solid 31:56 opening 10K and held a wide margin throughout the remainder of the race. He finished in 1:08:47.
Johnny Rutford (Omaha, NE) won a close battle for the runner-up position. He ran 34:02 for his first 10K and finished at 1:13:02. Logan Beausoleil (Bettendorf, IA) opened in 34:03 for 10K and finished at 1:13:20 to capture third overall and top local finisher.
Andrea Rediger (Minneapolis, MN) used a solid 38:03 opening 10K to break open the women's half field. She finished in 1:21:00 for the win. Lizzie Lundine (Davenport, IA) was second overall and the top local runner in 1:27:47, while Jenny Ellis (Port Barrington, IL) was third overall in 1:28:45.
Photos by: Lisa Rios, Howell Photography, QCM-ER Committee
2016 QC MARATHON OVERALL RESULTS:
1. Fikadu Teferi, Ethiopia, 2:16:56
2. Hillary Too, Kenya, 2:17:02
3. Tewodros Zewdu, Ethiopia, 2:28:50
4. Abu Kebede Diriba, Ethiopia, 2:32:12
5. Abraham Kiprop Rutto, Kenya, 2:32:16
1. Hirut Guangul, Ethiopia, 2:44:25
2. Bizuwork Getahun Kasa, Ethiopia, 2:56:01
3. Meseret Ali Basa, Ethiopia, 3:03:09
4. Jenna Fiorillo, West Chester, PA, 3:16:04
5. Sarah Castel, Chicago, IL, 3:29:28
MEN'S MASTERS MARATHON
1. Jason Zaborowski, Peoria, IL, 3:07:10
2. David Timmsen, Moline, IL, 3:11:40
3. Patrick Timmons, Naperville, IL, 3:15:21
WOMEN'S MASTERS MARATHON
1. Jamie Stensland, Waverly, IA, 3:40:55
2. Vicki Bentley-Condit, Grinnell, IA, 3:55:05
3. Patches Breed, Wilton, IA, 4:00:55
MEN'S MARATHON TOP LOCAL
1. Luke Padesky, Moline, IL, 2:58:16
WOMEN'S MARATHON TOP LOCAL
1. Sarah Liddell, Davenport, IA, 3:56:13
1. Brandon Mull, Chicago, IL, 1:08:47
2. Johnny Rutford, Omaha, NE, 1:13:02
3. Logan Beausoleli, Bettendorf, IA, 1:13:20
1. Andrea Rediger, Minneapolis, MN, 1:21:00
2. Lizzie Lundine, Davenport, IA, 1:27:47
3. Jenny Ellis, Port Barrington, IL, 1:28:45
MEN'S 1/2-MARATHON TOP LOCAL
1. Logan Beausoleli, Bettendorf, IA, 1:13:20
WOMEN'S 1/2-MARATHON TOP LOCAL
1. Lizzie Lundine, Davenport, IA, 1:27:47
1. Rick Pahl, IA, 16:06
2. Andrew Wright, Davenport, IA, 16:44
3. Sean Austin, Ames, IA, 17:41
1. Audrey Jenkins, Seneca, IL, 19:30
2. Mary Toohill, Davenport, IA, 19:46
3. Kelley Timmerman, IL, 21:02